Hi Teen,
1. For just a few VHS tapes, I'd recommend outsourcing. The process is
fairly time consuming (because it has to happen in real time). Based on the
need to purchase equipment, babysit the process, and then properly edit and
burn to DVD, for a few tapes, it's just better to have someone else do it.
If you do have more questions about doing it in-house though, I'd be happy
to help.

2. I've worked at a museum that numbers library items the same as
collections items, and I've worked at a museum that ignore them completely.
The real question is what's the rationale behind the different numbering?
Are there different procedures for removing library items from the
collection? Are they loaned out to the public? Are they really all library
(or are there items that might better be designated as archives)?

Kaia