Hello all,

I am in Uganda for three months this summer, working with a district archive
in its nascent stages of progress.  I'm casting about for any and all
sources of funding, both public and private, so as to keep the project
going.  Caveat: The documents are the *property of the local government*,
but the local university has reached an agreement with the government to act
as *caretakers*.  Thus, I'm not quite sure what sort of organization we
would qualify as in terms of grant applications.

We are not an established CSO (there are only five employees right now, four
of whom are contract employees and the fifth being a lecturer at the
university), nor would we be applying for funding on behalf of the local
government.  The Ugandan government does not view archival records as a
particularly important item on their priority list, and so obtaining money
from local/federal governmental sources right now is near impossible.  (This
is a large impetus behind the project; we are hoping that this work and our
additional work with the Ugandan National Archives will serve to show the
government the vast importance of preserving these resources.)

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Natalie

--