Hi everyone,

Every Friday museum staff have a group lunch, in which our kitchen is used,
sometimes the food odors linger and recently a staff member plugged in one
of those Glade oil air fresheners near the kitchen, which is also near some
of our collections storage areas.  This morning when I walked into the
museum I could smell it in our lobby/gallery space.  Has anybody read
anything or has any information regarding the issues these kind of items can
cause to a museum's collections?  Whenever I try to explain why we don't
allow certain items into the museum, it always becomes a fight with my
maintenance staff, they pretty much think I'm "full of crap".  Does anybody
have any suggestions on how to handle this, I really do not want to be the
"Museum Nazi" but I feel like sometimes I'm turning into one.

Would it be better just to use a can of air freshener after we cook as
opposed to one of the plug in types.  Personally, I'm not a fan of the plug
in air fresheners, but I really don't want it to be about that, I'm more
worried about my collection, our storage isn't the best and I'd prefer not
to contribute to its detriment any further.

Thanks,

Julie

Julie Blood

Collections and Exhibit Manager

San Joaquin County Historical Society & Museum

P.O. Box 30, Lodi, CA 95241

(209) 331-2055

(209) 953-3460

www.sanjoaquinhistory.org