I have been preserving wedding gows from my home for family and friends for
years now--both vintage gowns that were poorly stored and new gowns just
worn--and agree with Elizabeth Walton that most "professional" dry cleaning
services are a ripoff.  They charge hundreds of dollars for cleaning and
storing in a fashion that is ultimately not the best for the longevity of a
gown.  One should be wary of dry cleaners in general.  So few are actually
cleaning garments in a safe way that will maintain their beauty.

If you're interested in cleaning and preserving a wedding gown yourself, you
can read about my technique in the following.  All it requires is some
gentle detergent, possibly some OxiClean, a large tub, and a lot of water
and patience.

As my first step, I take a large, clean container and fill it with cold
water.  If you have access to distilled water, this is best; regular
filtered water is second best.  I examine the gown for any loose sequins,
beads, or other details, and remove them as necessary--they can be reapplied
when the dress is dry.  If you do not remove them before beginning the
cleaning process, you risk losing them.  Then I put on rubber gloves and
place the gown in the water.  I gently swish it around for a few minutes.
If the water becomes cloudy, I drain it and repeat the process, until the
water is no longer cloudy.  Then I take the gown out and dissolve some very
mild detergent in the bottom, then fill it once more with cold water.  I
like to use Ecover's Delicates formula for this purpose.  I repeat the
gentle swishing process in this detergent solution, then drain.  Then I
rinse the dress however many times necessary until no suds remain.  It is so
important to wash the dress, because the "age spotting" we see on so many
lighter-colored vintage garments are often stains that were invisible to the
eye after the last wear, but because the item was not properly cleaned or
stored, the stains interacted with the atmosphere and underwent chemical
change, leaving the garment with those unfortunate (but removable, if you
follow the instructions in the next paragraph!) blemishes.

If the dress had visible stains or discolorations, please read the following
step; if not, go to the next paragraph.  For a stained dress, I now soak it
in a VERY dilute solution of completely dissolved OxiClean and cold water
(dissolve the OxiClean in a bit of warm water, then fill it the rest of the
way with cold).  Be careful with this step if the dress has sequins,
beading, metal pieces, or similar adornments.  I allow it to soak for 1 to
up to 12 hours depending on the type and age of fabric and the intensity of
the stain.  It is wise to swish it around a few times while it is soaking,
to ensure that all parts of the dress are saturated.  I have done this with
dresses over a hundred years old and removed very tough stains and allover
discoloration, but you need to keep a close eye on it while it soaks, and
make sure you do not have too much OxiClean in the mixture!  I typically use
about half of what the box calls for in handwashing.  I then repeat the
washing and rinsing process to ensure all the strong chemicals have been
rinsed from the dress.

At this point I place it on a large, soft white towel which had been cleaned
with the same delicate detergent, then place another towel atop it and
gently roll the dress to remove excess water.  I then transfer the dress to
a large drying rack, unroll it, and remove the topmost towel.  I allow it to
air dry under a ceiling fan, flipping over and turning the dress inside out
as necessary to make sure everything dries quickly, before any part of it
becomes musty.

Once the dress has air dried, it may be stiffer than it originally was.  It
is typically okay to take a steamer at a low setting to it to soften it up
but, again, keep the safety of areas with beading and other details in the
forefront of your mind.  The steamer should also remove any wrinkles, but if
it has not, I will hang it on a strong hanger with a plastic base (wood is
treated with chemicals that can leach through and damage the garment and
metals can rust), padded with thick layers of organic undyed muslin, and
then place it in an organic undyed muslin garment bag.  Allow it to hang
until all wrinkles are gone.  You can permanently store it in this bag, but
for the best results, you should, as Elizabeth Walton mentioned, store it in
a museum-quality acid-free box and stuff all of the layers of the dress with
acid-free tissue paper.  Then place the bag or box in a room that maintains
a consistent temperature, and never a hot room.

I have also used this same general process with wedding veils, hats, and
bags (as well as other, non-wedding related garments and accessories) and it
has always been successful.  It has certainly saved my loved one lots of
money (and heartbreak if they had gone with a "professional" service that
did a shoddy job or even destroyed a gown, of which I have heard the worst
horror stories!).

I do hope this helps.  If any professional conservators have anything to add
or correct about my method, please do respond.  I love to help friends and
family out in this way, but I am not a professional conservator--just a
student who has done lots of research and consulted several conservators for
advice.

-Jeanie