Thanks Audra, that is the information I'm looking for.

Keni

--- On Thu, 5/19/11, Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Museum/School District wide partnerships
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, May 19, 2011, 10:09 AM

For me the underlying point here is making these programs "required" through the school district.  The approach as to how that was achieved would be of interest.
Any details on that?

>>> Education <[log in to unmask]> 5/19/2011 12:03 PM >>>

We also do this with our area 4th graders. It is a program called Discover Art. When the program started it was funded through a city grant and brought the 4th graders to the museum 3 times a year. We would show them a different exhibition each time and would do a hands-on project with them as well. The grant was completely eliminated last year and we have been forced to find other avenues to try to continue this program because for most of these students, it is their only exposure to the arts. This year (2010-2011 school year), we brought the 4th graders to the museum one time and the second visit we coordinated with local artists to introduce the students to their work. We had about 6 artists for 12 schools with 2-5 4th grades a piece. One to three educators went along each time to help facilitate the program and project. We have received great responses from all involved!

Jessica Gauthier

Education Assistant-Allentown Art Museum

31 N 5th St.

Allentown PA 18101

610-432-4333 ext.132

The Allentown Art Museum of the Lehigh Valley is currently closed to the public and undergoing an exciting expansion and renovation project! While we are closed, be sure to join us "on the road" from December thru the Fall of 2011 at a number of off-site exhibitions, programs and events.  For more information on these events, as well as our expansion and renovation project, please visit our Web site at www.allentownartmuseum.org. And don't forget - the Allentown Art Museum of the Lehigh Valley will reopen in the Fall of 2011!