Dear Jill,
I found an informative SI timeline that would suggest that many universities with phd programs have been affiliated with the Smithonian. Many scholars from these universities have worked on projects/research at SI, but that they have not given formal phd certificates.

The timeline is a really wonderful resource for SI history.

Google: smithsonian institution history of phd programs>select Timeline results for smithsonian institution history of phd programs at the bottom of results page> scroll to the bottom and select 100. This will give you the full time line or you can select the range of years and narrow your search to the 1970's or 1980's.

best,
Rebecca