And what about old, non-working dentist’s x-ray machine in a collection?  Any advice?

Lucy Sperlin

Butte County Historical Society

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Harvey
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Radiation safety

Michael -

When I worked in a large museum conservation facility we were required to have a radiation safety policy because we had an industrial x-ray machine that was used to examine historic objects and works of art. The states regulate this and so we had to register the machine with the appropriate state agency and keep the radiation safety plan on file along with all records (dosimeter badge reading) on file in case of inspection. So if you have an operational device that generates x-rays I can offer you some advice. If you have a natural source then I would suggest you contact a natural history museum.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles, CA