"Exhibition" has been uncomfortable for me.  It seemed both a little snooty and too close to exhibitionist.  Exhibit seems to the point and brief.  But then I deplore the use of "functionality" when "function" is a perfectly fine word.  Even in nomenclature there is a need to split hairs only when you have an abundance of hairs to distinguish from one another.

Of course since I work for a federal agency This email expresses my personal opinion which is not necessarily shared by my employer (National Archives and Records Administration) which undoubtedly has regulations on exactly how to split hairs nor the federal government of which NARA is a part.   ;)

>>> Larry List <[log in to unmask]> 5/11/2011 10:42 PM >>>
My understanding has always been that an "exhibit" is one specific artifact or item  that is part of and "exhibition," a coherent presentation of images, objects, artworks, artifacts organized around one or more related themes.

Larry List