From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of David Harvey
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Radiation safety

Michael -

When I worked in a large museum conservation facility we were required to
have a radiation safety policy because we had an industrial x-ray machine
that was used to examine historic objects and works of art. The states
regulate this and so we had to register the machine with the appropriate
state agency and keep the radiation safety plan on file along with all
records (dosimeter badge reading) on file in case of inspection. So if you
have an operational device that generates x-rays I can offer you some
advice. If you have a natural source then I would suggest you contact a
natural history museum.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles, CA

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 7:04 AM, Simons, Michael (ES) (Contr)