Does anyone have social media guidelines (related to museum collections management) that they are willing to share? Our program has tested the use of Twitter, Facebook and blog to distribute information about our services and the museum collections in the Northeast Region of the National Park Service. Based upon some early successes, we are looking to formalize our procedures and determine what can (or better yet, what can not) be posted. In particular, we would like assistance with what issues and areas of concern that should be considered/addressed for by organizations that work with museum objects and archival collections; provide services to other sites/clients; and yet need to balance the associated ethical and security concerns with the need to engage the public.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Giles Parker
Museum Curator
Northeast Museum Services Center