Good Friday Afternoon!
    Our museum offers tours of historic sites in the county, ranging from a Santa Fe Trail through the county tour to shorter tours to specific sites.  We do not have a vehicle at the museum, so interested parties follow a museum staff member (OK...usually me!) in their own personal vehicles.
     While these tours have been free for a while, I'm examining the issue of charging for the tours.  Some of them are very extensive and run for several hours and if nothing else the milage reimbursement cost for employees needs to be covered, especially with gas prices today!  The longest tour runs across the entire county and lasts for a few hours; I don't think we are doing ourselves any favors by eating the costs for it and not charging the participants.
      Do any of you offer similar tours, and if so do you charge and what do you charge?  Just a standard milage rate at whatever the Federal milage rate is, or a flat fee and how do you calculate it?  Also, if anyone started charging when it was previously free, did you find a lot of push-back against it?

Maggie Carlson
Museum Director/Curator of Collections
Coronado Quivira Museum
History is philosophy teaching by examples- Thucydides