I attended a conference in the fall and a gentleman from the Ah-ta-thi-ki Museum (Seminole Tribe of FL), was talking about their use of  the Microsoft Surface. I’ve been there and used it and it’s pretty neat! Different than just an interactive computer display…

I don’t have any pictures, but here are the notes I took from his presentation:

Microsoft Surface

Touch table for interactive displays

30” LCD screen, 250 touch points, multi people can use (iphones have 2 touch points)

Object recognition, ie: set down camera and photos “spill out” onto screen

Go through Microsoft and work w/ developer

Versatile, cutting edge, $$$ ($15,000 ea + development costs)

Expandable (250bg + USB ports)

Cloning potential – can create “museum in a box” and have @ multi locations

*Developer – Quatrefoil, long time in mus business

Noticed patrons 30+ yrs, needed signage about how to use, 30- yrs just started playing.

Have at the MET and NMAI.

Too new, not a lot of stats on it yet.

I hope this helps!

-Jaime

Jaime L. Fogel
Librarian
Holocaust Documentation & Education Center
www.hdec.org