Hi Marilynn and others...

I've been thinking about value membership a lot over the past several
years and have been interviewing professionals who are taking a new
approach to membership. Here are a few articles and interviews that
might interest you:

Rethinking membership: http://museumtwo.blogspot.com/2007/11/rethinking-membership-what-does-it-mean.html
Interview with Will Cary and Shelley Bernstein of the Brooklyn Museum
of Art re their "1st Fans" membership: http://museumtwo.blogspot.com/2009/02/1stfans-audience-specific-membership.html
Interview with Kirsten Denner of the Whitney about their "Curate Your
Own" membership: http://museumtwo.blogspot.com/2010/09/curate-your-own-membership-interview.html
Another question about value memberships: http://museumtwo.blogspot.com/2010/02/could-you-split-your-membership.html

I'd also recommend John Falk and Beverly Sheppard's book Thriving in
the Knowledge Age, which talks a great deal about membership. I also
focused on membership and building relationships with visitors over
time in chapter 2 of The Participatory Museum, which you can access
here: www.participatorymuseum.org/chapter2

I hope this helps!

Nina

Nina Simon