Hello,

We are planning to reunite 117 paintings that were originally included in the U.S. State Department’s 1946 exhibition, Advancing American Art. While the majority of the paintings have been located, a handful remain lost, and we hope that this appeal for help might help us to uncover some of those works. We have included a list of those works in this message with as much information as we have. If you think one of these paintings might be in your collection or you know of its location, please do not hesitate to contact us. We have photographs of some of the works, and can forward that information along. Thank you in advance for your help!

Missing paintings:

1. Milton Avery, Fish Basket (oil on canvas, 35 ½ x 28”)
2. William Baziotes, The Room (watercolor on paper, 10 ½ x 13 ½”)
3. Louis Bouche, Maspeth, Queens (oil on canvas, 14x20”)
4. Philip Evergood, Girl with Cock (oil on canvas, 19 x 29 ½”)
5. George Grosz, Street Fight (watercolor on paper, 25 ¼ x 18 ½”)
6. Marsden Hartley, Roses (oil on canvas, 12x16”)
7. Yasuo Kuniyoshi, Landscape (watercolor on paper, 19 ¼ x 12 ¼”)
8. John Marin, Sea and Boat, 1942 (oil on canvas, 22x29”)
9. Karl Zerbe, The Owls (oil on canvas, 24 ½ x 24 ¼”)

Thank you.

Mark A. White, PhD
Eugene B. Adkins Curator
Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art