Hello Museum-L!

I work at a small museum in the Midwest and we are having some trouble with low, fluctuating humidity in the collections. Our building is historic and impossible to seal, but the humidity fluctuations don’t seem to have anything to do with changes in weather. We had our usual HVAC guy give us a quote for installing a humidifier and it came in at over $8,000. That’s just not feasible for us and would be invasive to the building. Is there any simple & cheap solution for stabilizing the humidity in a storage space that can’t be sealed? Or is my only option to identify single artifacts that are especially in need of stable humidity and encapsulate them individually?

Best,

Anna Musun-Miller

Curator

Johnson County Museum of History