I have to say before anyone even considers the fire place or a camp fire as a method of disposing of Cellulose Nitrate Film DO NOT DO IT!  Cellulose Nitrate film will produce a heavy smoke, that contains higher than normal amounts of Nitrogen Dioxide.  It will burn at a rapid rate, and is not easily extinguished.  Fire is nothing to play with especially when dealing with a Hazardous Material.

You should consider the impacts to your health and the environment if you were to dispose of the materials in such a manner.  Remember that there are laws in the state of North Carolina (as well as most states) that would affect you in disposing of it in this manner.  Not to mention OSHA regulations as to the disposal of Hazardous Materials if you were caught you could face major penalties and fines.

I would recommend anyone else who wants to dispose of this product contact your local fire department or your state environmental agency to discuss proper methods of disposal.

Matthew D. Hunt, FPE

Disaster Preparedness Coordinator

North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources

Connecting to Collections

Office - 919-807-7293              Mailing Address                          Physical Address

[log in to unmask]     4610 Mail Service Center           109 East Jones Street

                                                  Raleigh, NC 27699-4610              Raleigh, NC 27699