Jennifer,

I would check with your local Fire Dept. and see if they either can take it on the next household hazardous materials drop off day, or if they want to burn it for training. They'll be able to tell you what you can or can't do to dispose of it.

Honestly the fireplace or a campfire may be the best solution for this since you probably can't mail it without a lot of expense.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles, CA