Hi Suzanne:

I built some exhibit walls at my last museum that were supported by some
very Federal-ish columns my volunteers fabricated for me  from plywood, PVC
pipe, ethafoam rod and concrete. The panels between these columns were
actually hollow core doors. They were freestanding, looked great, could be
re-arranged or stored easily and while they sound pretty cheesy from this
description, if you've got a couple of hundred bucks, someone who can run a
table saw, drill press and a router they're easy to make. I'd be happy to
send pictures or give more details off list.

Dan