Executive Director
Atchison County Historical Society
P.O. Box 201
200 S. 10th Street, Santa Fe Depot
Atchison, KS 66002
913-367-6238
www.atchisonhistory.org

Claudia Nicholson wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Hello all:  For at least the last 10 years, I have been searching for two articles that I read once and would like to have as resources.

The first article appeared in the magazine of the American Indian Science and Engineering Society publication Winds of Change (I think that is the name of the publication).  It was written by Vine DeLoria, Jr., and was about the differences between white and Indian societies' ways of thinking about religion.  It was quite wonderful, and I have never been able to run a copy of the article to earth. Sorry that I cannot remember the name of the articles.  This was probably between 1992 and 1997.

The other article was written by a curator at an Indian museum in the Pacific Northwest or Northern Great Plains region (I think).  In it, she described a classification scheme for the objects at her museum that used the culture of her tribe to both think about and store the objects.  My recollection is that she had objects housed by clan associations, and there were objects belonging to historical enemies that she would never consider housing in the same cabinet.  There was also something about where women's objects were stored in relation to men's.  It was fascinating and a very different way of thinking about the classification of objects.

I would be pleased to get references for one or both of these articles, and hopefully, copies of both.

Thank you all.  I am counting on you!

Claudia

Claudia J. Nicholson
Executive Director
North Star Museum of Boy Scouting and Girl Scouting
2640 Seventh Avenue East
North St. Paul, MN 55109-3103
651-748-2880
www.nssm.org