Good afternoon, MuseumLers - You are right to be concerned with the use of solutions that are sprayed on to these reproduction costumes and then worn/handled by the public (and staff), in light of possible allergic reactions. If you are drycleaning/washing the reproduction costumes on a schedule, I do not believe that there is any health risk for bacterial exposure (keeping in mind that members of the public/staff who are ill will not be trying on the reproduction costumes). Now if the concern is with smell due to perspiration (especially in the underarm areas), I suggest the use of disposable underarm shields (sticky tape attaches them) that are changed as necessary. You also might want to consider the use of t-shirts worn as undergarments or have the public/staff keep their street clothes on if the reproduction costumes are currently worn against bare skin. If you can hang the reproduction costumes at the end of the day so that there is plenty of room in between them and air circulation going (i.e. fan), this will allow the reproduction costumes to "air out" overnight. I am assume that you are avoiding the use of headgear due to the epidemic number of head lice infestations, especially among elementary school age children.

Because the formulations for Lysol and other antibacterial sprays change frequently and with no notification, it is difficult to say whether the ingredients would damage the fibres, dyes and other media (i.e. for buttons, fasteners, trims, embellishments) used in the reproduction costumes. Ask the manufacturer for a MSDS for the specific type of product.

Please feel free to contact me off-line if further clarification is needed.
Regards,
Meg
.   _    _    _   _   _  ______
Margaret E. Geiss-Mooney
Textile/Costume Conservator &
Collections Management Consultant
Professional Associate - AIC
707-763-8694

...reproduction costumes that we use for staff use and for tours.
Some of the costumes are used for tours rather frequently and the
education staff wants to "disinfect" the clothes after each tour.
They want to use Lysol or some other kind of antibacterial spray,
since these clothes are occasionally used by kids to try on. I have a
big problem with using Lysol for many reasons, one is the lingering
smell, two because many of these reproductions are made of wool and I
am worried about what they will do to the fabric in the long run. The
costumes fall under my domain since they currently reside in my
office. These are not items in the collection but they are still kept
track of an taken care of by me for the time being and we can't
replace them if they are damaged by the Lysol.
Any suggestions or ideas that could please both departments are
greatly appreciated. ...