From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Jason B. Jones
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 1:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Concerning Blog Post

Thank you all for the dialog: it's good to think about such things on a
Friday. And thank you Perian for your input on authenticity as it vastly
outweighs mine - and not being upset for being called out :)

If they were museum objects, then I think this action would be
inappropriate and potentially deserving criminal action. I'm 100% for
protecting our collections. And yes, if it was my museum's collection or
my family heirloom, I would be upset. I'm in no way saying it's
permissible to "borrow" a collection item for any purpose, artistic or
otherwise.

But based on evidence in the blog:

a unique fusion of photography, fashion, art and design inspired by
vintage

I enjoy nature, fashion, photography, art, everything vintage, music,
and lots more.

I hope to profile other inspiring things on this blog as well as my own
creative endeavors, be it photography, vintage, lifestyle, environment,
writing, costume/dress design, my music, or random.

I feel comfortable with my stance that these weren't museum objects, and
that the blogger was using artistic license to make the images and the
dresses appear more cultural value. It's that use of artistic license
surrounding "claims" that they were from a museum, that I am supporting.

What I would hasten against is limiting the expression of someone using
the idea of a museum collection.

I agree that this is a teachable moment in many respects.

What I want to encourage is a dialog about how we, as museum
professionals and guardians of cultural objects, address issues of
authenticity, artist license, and our own professional standards to make
our field and communities stronger. And considering the timing of the
blog post coming down along side this discussion - it's likely pressure
was exerted from somewhere herein, I think this means not using our
position as museum professionals to pressure someone to remove a
teachable moment from their blog or what have you.

Thoughts?

Jason

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Perian Sully <[log in to unmask]>