In celebration of Black History Month, Southern Cultures permanently has dedicated a new section of our website to all of our essays and features from the last decade on AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY AND CULTURE.  This material includes interviews with many famous figures (and lesser known ones, too), as well as material which explores many aspects of the experiences of African Americans inside and outside the South.  In addition, we’ve also been presenting featured content on our homepage to commemorate African American history: an essay from  Timothy B. Tyson, author of Blood Done Sign My Name, who reveals why Martin Luther King’s message  endures and what he means to the South and the nation.

To date, over 65,000 readers have viewed our material online.  To read our new section on AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY AND CULTURE, please visit:
http://www.southerncultures.org/content/read/read_by_subject/african_american_history_and_culture/

To read Tim Tyson’s “Martin Luther King and the Southern Dream of Freedom,” please visit:

Thank you.

Best,
Dave Shaw
Executive Editor, Southern Cultures
UNC's Center for the Study of the American South
CB# 9127, UNC-CH
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-9127
www.SouthernCultures.org

“The rich array of photographs and graphics,
and the sincere and effective attempt at readerly appeal,

go well beyond what is attempted by most. . .

Southern Cultures is truly impressive.”
Council of Editors of Learned Journals