Another approach to cost a effective version of this is to purchase a digital picture frame. Many of the better types are both image and video ready and you can simply drag and drop files to a folder and update the frame using either a network connection, a laptop or a USB key. These displays are surprisingly durable and you can't beat the price for a cost effective solution. I've used these frames for larger displays as well as for small media content embedded in graphic panels.

Good luck with the project,

Larry Fisher
Planner+Designer+Imagineer
(401)253-5335