Elizabeth -

Do you ask for self-insurance from other people that you hire for events? I work with many musicians and have not heard of that one. I do know that promoters who put on shows and events are often required to have insurance, or the venues.

One thing you do need to put in a contract is that they are not to perform any music or drama that is under current copyright (e.g. no covers) otherwise you will get very nasty letters from one of the PRO's such as BMI, ASCAP, etc. in the case of music for copyright violation. The venue having the vent is always responsible for copyright compliance and not the artist.

The other usual stuff is how long they are to play or perform (usually designated as sets for music) and who is responsible for the PA (sound system) and mics, etc. Many musicians have requirements for them or their bands (that will come from their booking person). And of course how much they are being paid. Also many contracts may include requirements of promotion or billing of the event by the promoter or venue for well-known artists.

It might be a good idea to contact a nearby performing arts organization in town and talk to them about this.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles CA