Proven Liable/slander in the US is just about impossible.   If it was then every tabloid rag would be out of business already.  As it is very few law suites against them succeed.    I am no lawyer but I read an article about it recently and the standards needed to call it liable and slander and then compete with the first amendment and then prove harm was intended is a pretty tough case to prove according to the article.  I don't know I just got that from the article.
Randy S. Little
http://www.rslittle.com

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 08:24, . . <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
If a third party lies about an incident, then that third party is to be held responsible for libel, not the person asking concerning the incident.   You are insinuating that I am being slanderous simply for asking about a possible theft in which the first party did, in fact, say a theft of sorts occurred.  Dear me!  If asking about a possible theft when someone has already admitted to it is libel, then I dare to say that the vast majority of the population is in legal trouble!

-Isabella