I am an independent freelance designer and use SketchUp for all my preliminary design needs...then as Larry suggests I import into AutoCad. So you can easily share your files with other professionals or contractors using other programs. For about $500 dollars you can have a Pro version of SketchUp I think.

Good luck,
Providence LeGrand-Fenn

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Larry List <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear Michael,

I concur on the use of SketchUp. I have used AutoCad 3D and VectorWorks but they are much more expensive and have a steeper learning curve. Also, using SketchUp you can send the files to anybody else and they can also (freely) download the program, open your files and tour the space with ease.

I have heard that it is being used by students in many of the curatorial programs so, your next hire may already be schooled in its use, saving you the time and effort.
Many architecture and exhibition design offices now use SketchUp as their initial medium then flip those drawings into autocad when they have to generate super accurate construction documents and shop drawings.

Importing an Autocad base plan, if you have it, of your space, you can be assured of good accuracy (though double check dimensions - people can draw sloppy in even a precise program) and quickly extrude your walls, etc.

Good luck!

Larry List
Independent Curator
303 Park Avenue South
New York, New York
#315                10010
646-761-7489

On 2/25/2011 9:00 AM, Michael Reuter wrote:

Our staff is looking for freeware or inexpensive software that will allow us to manipulate the design of our exhibit walls.  Ideally, this software would allow us to move photos, text panels, and even create conceptual immersion modules that we could then present as a visual aid in describing the design that our staff is looking to create. Thanks for any help you can give.

Michael Reuter

Curator of Collections/Registrar

Milwaukee County Historical Society

910 N. Old World 3rd St.