Michael,

For simple visualization the freeware version of Google SketchUp is
excellent. I use SketchUp (the fully featured version) for quick
visualization of spaces and to layout ideas. What is nice is that once
you have your galleries built you can reuse that model for various
projects. There is also a huge freeware library of pre-modeled objects,
structures, and other features that you can import into your models.

Check out: http://sketchup.google.com/

Cheers,

Larry Fisher
Planner+Designer+Imagineer