From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of . .
Sent: 25 February 2011 04:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Concerning Blog Post

Hello!

I'm a long time lurker to the list.  This afternoon, I was looking up
information on vintage dresses and gowns when I came across this
blogger's post: http://thedarlingsfables.tumblr.com/pos
<http://thedarlingsfables.tumblr.com/post/3489854698/a-pair-of-kindred-s
pirits> t/3489854698/a-pair-of-kindred-spirits   For those that don't
like links, it says the following:

My friend Lesley and I used to work at a museum and one day after work
we snuck some brilliant dresses off some mannequins and some other props
and came up with these charming photos. I hope they bring you as much
satisfaction and longing for summer as they do me.

The post is accompanied by an array of photos of the two ladies in what
are clearly late 19th century/early 20th century gowns doing a variety
of seemingly innocent activities; such as cloud watching in the grass or
kneeling outside in the grass.  However, those activities are extremely
damaging to antique cotton and silk gowns not to mention any insects or
chemicals they may have gotten on them thanks to lawn care.

I would love to believe that she was joking and did have permission
-much in the same vain as I say when I tell people I'm going to "kidnap"
my nephew- but I can't imagine a curator allowing someone to lay down
outside in the grass in an antique dress that is part of the museum's
collection.

So, if you all can help ease my mind and tell me she did actually have
permission to wear the dresses, that would be awesome.  Does anyone even
recognize the gowns?  I believe the lady lives in Canada but I'm unsure
if the museum she "borrowed" these dresses from is there.   Does anyone
know if she had permission or not?  Is the museum even aware of what
took place?

If she didn't have permission, how did she manage to get the artifacts
out of the museum without anyone raising an eyebrow?   I really think
this might be a larger discussion on museum security and procedures,
particularly for trusted individuals in the museum.

I really hope someone recognizes the gowns and can help tell me yea or
nay on whether or not this lady had permission to have those gowns.

Thank you,

Isabella

  _____

http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=MUSEUM-L