Another approach to cost a effective version of this is to purchase a
digital picture frame. Many of the better types are both image and
video ready and you can simply drag and drop files to a folder and
update the frame using either a network connection, a laptop or a USB
key. These displays are surprisingly durable and you can't beat the
price for a cost effective solution. I've used these frames for larger
displays as well as for small media content embedded in graphic panels.

Good luck with the project,

Larry Fisher
Planner+Designer+Imagineer
(401)253-5335