John,

You can get plexi that blocks some of the UV and also the clear filtering
films as well. They block a significant amount of UV. Make sure to check on
how much UV-A and UV-B they block, both contain energy that can degrade
collections and furnishings. You will not be blocking the energy from
visible light with clear media - most of that will come in - and tints just
don't look good in a period house. There are always the period solutions -
using blinds or curtains, especially during times of the day when the sun is
shining directly into the room.

I'd suggest talking to Robert Self, conservator at Monticello. They've
employed a nice UV filtering system that is fit around rather than on the
historic window glass.

The UV films do not last forever. It is important to get a baseline UV
reading in each room first, then with the film in place to check its
efficiency, then at least once or twice a year after that, so you can see
when you'll need to replace the films.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles CA