On April 9th, the Institute of Museum Ethics at Seton Hall University will convene the first in a series of public conversations about current ethical challenges in the field.  We will examine the controversy surrounding the recent National Portrait Gallery exhibition, “Hide/Seek:  Difference and Desire in American Portraiture" to highlight the ethical issues involved, understand the role of the media (print and internet) in this controversy and in other instances where museums’ ethical practices are interrogated, and explore issues that were raised related to artists’ rights.

To complement this conversation, we invite proposals for presentations on themes related to the controversy, media and museums, intellectual freedom in universities versus museums, standards of professional conduct, and exhibitions and artists’ rights.

We invite proposals for 20-minute presentations which address issues related to the topic of the conference.  Please submit your abstract of no more than 250 words to Dr. Sally Yerkovich, [log in to unmask] by March 2nd.  Pending grant funding, some travel money may be available.  Location: To Be Announced.