Dear Learned Ones:
Yes, we have the dreaded over-ten-years-old dry pipe sprinkler system throughout our museum building. We have had the annual testing done, and have already had some problems with corroded pipes and fittings causing leaks. Not catastrophic, thank goodness. However, we are now faced with the necessity of having to have the system flushed out, something that should be done every five years. This flushing has the potential to expose further weaknesses in pipes and fittings anywhere in the building. We have everything from exposed pipes to dropped ceilings to hard ceilings, so water could appear anywhere and travel anywhere.

I would love to hear from people who have had their dry pipe systems flushed. Did you take the precaution of sealing your entire museum in plastic, or not? Did any part of your system fail, and if so, what were the consequences? Do you have any suggestions beyond polyethylene and Tums?

Many thanks, as always,

Anne
Anne  T  Lane,  Collections  Manager
The  Charlotte  Museum  of  History