MS 302: Fundraising for Collections Care
Instructor: Helen Alten
Dates: March 7 to April 1, 2011
Price: $475
Location: Online at www.museumclasses.org

Strapped for cash? Can't see how you can implement collections preservation ideas when you can't pay the light bill? This workshop introduces funding options for a range of collections care needs. The class combines lecture and practicum sessions. Students will learn about different forms of fund raising, how to find funding sources for their institution, how to write successful proposals and how to build on success. Each student will complete a draft grant request before the end of the class.

Course Outline
1. Introduction to Fundraising
2. Funding Sources
3. Long-Range Planning
4. Writing the Proposal
5. Budgets
6. Samples
7. Conclusion

Logistics:
Participants in
Fundraising for Collections Care work at individual paces through seven sections. Instructor Helen Alten is available at scheduled times during the course for email support. Resources include forums and scheduled online chats, PowerPoint lectures, reading materials and lecture notes and links to relevant web sites.

Fundraising for Collections Care runs four weeks. To reserve a spot in the course, please pay at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html If you have trouble please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask]

Student Comments
I found the lectures to be informative, relevant, concise and easy to read. Helen provided prompt assistance and advice that was knowledgeable and informed.

The chats were great and enabled specific questions to be answered. The chats also created some sense of comradery with the class which seemed more important as there was no face to face contact.

I loved the chat sessions, they were very informative. I enjoyed having all the lectures accessible online, and Helen was always available to help.

I thought the materials were very well done. The readings were easy to understand and apply to the subject matter at hand.

The Instructor:
Helen Alten, is the Director of Northern States Conservation Center and its chief Objects Conservator.  She has written and received numerous foundation and government grants for museums and other non-profits. Helen has also been the fundraising chair and the development officer for local non-profits in her community, creating successful fundraisers, including the 20 year old "Hearts 'n Humans" art auction fundraiser for the Helena, Montana AIDS Network.  Helen currently conducts conservation treatments and operates a conservation center in Charleston, WV and St. Paul, MN. She is also the part-time development officer for the Gabriel Project.