MS103: The Basics of Museum Registration (Only offered once in 2011)
Instructor: Peggy Schaller
Price: $475
Dates: Feb. 22 to Mar. 21, 2011
Location: online at www.museumclasses.org

:
Discover why museums use those little bitsy numbers on artifacts. Master the ABCs of museum record keeping in the Basics of Museum Registration. Participants learn about registration, accession, common numbering systems and how to craft a mission statement for their museum. Finally, the course reviews the importance of having - and using - a registration manual and what it should contain.

Each participant will write a mission statement, as well as collection and acquisition policies for a "new" museum. The curriculum also requires written commentary on museum missions, an accessioning exercise and drafting a sample registration manual.

Course Outline:
1. Introduction
2. The Museum Mission Statement
3. Accessioning and Numbering
4. Registration Manual
5. Conclusion

Logistics:
Participants in the Basics of Museum Registration work at their own pace through five sections and interact through online forums and chats. Instructor Peggy Schaller will be available at scheduled times for email support. The course covers everything you need to know to process a collection. Materials include online readings and lecture notes, slide shows, quizzes and links to relevant web sites.

Basics of Museum Registration runs for four weeks. To reserve a spot in the course, please pay at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html If you have trouble please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask]

Student Comments for MS103: The Basics of Museum Registration
"I have enjoyed many of the classes offered through NSCC and really learn a lot. … The class was taught extremely well and provided grateful information. Peggy was an inspiring person!"

" I liked the exercise where we chose the different items we would have in the museum. That one was hard because I didn't always know how to justify something I wanted or didn't want … I was even asking my family at the dinner table and we were all talking about what we would keep and what we wouldn't! I would definitely take another class."

"This course was a great quick course … I will look forward to taking more in the future … The instructor was very helpful and available."

"The class was set up so that someone with very little time could learn a lot in a short period. It provided information that was useful in the actual context of work."

"I have enjoyed many of the classes offered through NSCC and really learn a lot. … The class was taught extremely well and provided great information. Peggy was an inspiring person with so much to learn from!

The Instructor:
Peggy Schaller, founded Collections Research for Museums in 1991 to provide cataloging, collection-management training and services. She has worked with a large variety of museums and collections for more than 18 years. Peggy, who lives in Denver, Colorado, has a bachelor's degree in anthropology with minors in art history and geology from the University of Arizona in Tucson. She has a master's degree in anthropology with a minor in museum studies from the University of Colorado in Boulder and is a Certified Institutional Protection Manager II. She provides workshops and project services to museums and historical societies all across the country. The mission of Collections Research for Museums is to inspire museums to improve their professional standards, collections stewardship and service to their constituency through training in, and assistance with, documenting, preserving, protecting and managing their collections.