Hi Phil,

A variety of factors can contribute to warping of foamcore panels,
especially when freely hung as you describe.

First and foremost, when you apply graphics to the foam core panel, do
apply a 'balance sheet' on the reverse side? When you laminate or
dry-mount digitally printed graphic material to only one side of a foam
core panel you alter the expansion and contraction characteristics of
the panel. The laminated side will expand and contract from thermal
changes as well as humidity changes at a different rate than the back
side in the absence of a balance sheet. In addition, different mounting
methods such as spray mount, sheet adhesive, etc. can shrink and expand
as they cure over time, the effect is what is often referred to as
'potato chipping,' for obvious reasons. It is always best to match the
front and back in terms of material, weight of material, and method of
lamination. If you apply a protective clear laminate over the graphics,
apply it on the backside as well.

Now you also have another factor that comes into play here - thermal
dynamics. I have often seen panels suspended in historic houses or
galleries from picture rail that are 'potato chipping,' even when they
have a balance sheet as I just described. Why? Because of the
temperature difference between the side facing the wall and the side
facing the room. In some cases, like historic houses with plaster walls,
this warping is exacerbated by humidity migrating from the plaster walls
or masonry to the backside of the panel. Using balance sheets and clear
overlay will help in this case because the clear sheet provides a
'barrier' of sorts and the expansion of the material may not be as
severe as an unprotected panel. If you want to see a severe example take
a sample panel and lean it up in a window and watch what happens.

Another factor is the foam core itself. Different materials act in
different ways. Basic, inexpensive foam core material is faced with
paper and is prone to warping. Other types that are a little more
expensive use more stable materials - for example "Gator Board" which
uses a wood fiber based veneer or as you noted, synthetic products such
as Sintra. Bear in mind that in addition to the escalating costs of
these products, the handling, cutting, and hanging of them involve more
effort. Sintra or its equals is significantly heavier than traditional
foam core products. Here's a tip from the low cost toolbox that I've
used in the past. Use a painted hollow panel that you either fabricate
or adapt from a 1 3/8" thick hollow core door as the substrate and then
laminate your graphics (using a stripable adhesive or, I have had them
directly printed to adhesive vinyl film) to this more stable panel.
You'll end up with a nice, frameless, contemporary graphic panel. When
you are done with the exhibit you can remove the laminated graphic,
paint if needed, and recycle the panel by applying new graphics.

Good luck!

Larry Fisher
Museum Planner, Designer, Imagineer
6 Belvedere Drive