Catholic University’s SLIS also offers a track in Cultural Heritage Information Management (http://slis.cua.edu/MSinLS/coursesStudy/CHIM.cfm), if he’d like to look at that.  It’s true they recommend at least one course in database management – it’s unavoidably useful knowledge to have these days, in almost any field – but it’s not required, and he could probably also speak with the Dean about putting together a personalized course of study that suits his interests.  When I studied there 8 years ago myself, I found the professors were always willing to help support a student’s interests; when I found a class I wanted to take (History of the Book, in fact) wasn’t offered in rotation until after I was scheduled to graduate, they rescheduled a special session for the upcoming semester so I could take it.

And a tremendous advantage to CUA is its location.  The university itself has some nice collections (and when I attended in 2003, there was still a book bindery in the library’s basement, although I don’t know if it’s still there), and he’d also have access to opportunities at all the Smithsonian museums, the Library of Congress and a myriad of other cultural heritage organizations in the immediate area.  And he’d be less than two hours away from UVA with its wonderful annual 5-day Rare Book School program (http://www.rarebookschool.org/).

Cheers, Amy

Amy J. Lucko

Program Officer

Council on Library and Information Resources

1752 N Street, NW, Suite 800

Washington, DC 20036

www.clir.org