Hi Stephanie,

I suspect what you have is a 'tomahawk' style /weld chipping hammer/
made by the Atlas Welding Accessory Co. of Troy, Michigan. I could not
find a direct catalog match but Atlas produced many styles of the
'tomahawk' hammer, both with wooden handles and bent wire handles. Atlas
was founded in 1939. Given the condition of the tool you have, the
construction of it, and the stamping on it, I'd bet it is a 20th century
item and it certainly fits the type.

There are some similar forms such as a /lathing hammer/ or a /handled
caulking iron/ but I don't think it falls into those types. The main
reason is, these other tools all make use of their functionality as
hammers, as such, they have a hammer head opposite the blade or hatchet
and they are usually more robust in their construction. From the photo
it also appears that the tool would not be a cutting tool such as an axe
or hatchet because the blade is not ground with a cutting edge as would
be found on a more modern version of these tools.

You may wish to contact the John Verrill, Executive Director of the
Early American Industries Association (http://www.eaiainfo.org/) for his
expert opinion. His email is: [log in to unmask]

All the best,

Larry Fisher
Museum Planner, Designer, Imagineer
p: (401) 253-5335