From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Elizabeth Walton
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 10:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] archival mannequin distributor?

The only forms that are archival chemically are ethafoam forms like those
sold by Dorfman (or custom made ones), but the shape does not fit every
costume (and I personally find the shoulder shape to be very awkward).

Damage to costumes is usually more from ill fitting forms and bad handling
than from offgassing, so sometimes altered regular mannequins or standard
dress forms can be a better choice. Goldsmith carries some really nice dress
forms that have some historic shapes and also some that are small enough to
be easily padded out for proper fit for photography or display. When shaping
mannequins, pantyhose and batting are your new best friends for giving a
smooth barrier to prevent ripping out linings and to give proper support.
There are some guides and lectures available through Costume Society of
America and I would be happy to answer any questions to help.

Elizabeth Walton

www.waltonmuseumservices.com

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>