Suzanne- thank you for sharing your experience- your comments were very
helpful.  This institution has tried a "suggested donation" and it has not
been very successful.  I like the idea of having a whole free month (as
opposed to one day a month or something) to bring in the people who can't or
don't want to pay.  This seems like it might be a reasonable compromise.

Ruth-  Your story intrigues me...  Could it be that your museum attendance
would have grown regardless of the changes in admission?  Did you have any
other initiatives that coincided with that?  Or maybe a change in the
demographics of your community?