Hello all,

I'm needing some anecdotes from your museums and references to studies
and research regarding exhibit change frequency...

I have some visitor study data from our museum and others in our local
area that say more than half of museum patrons visit a particular museum
no more than once a year.  If a visitor comes to our museum on the same
date each year, they will have completely missed one of our 3 temporary
exhibits that are all researched, designed, programmed, and installed by
museum staff.  About 15 cars trade places during each exhibit swap and
the gallery space itself is stripped, redecorated thematically, and
reinterpreted.  We have no mandate to do a specific number of exhibits
per year, but we pride ourselves on regularly presenting new content in
an automotive museum.  In a quick scan of other museums, many seem to do
2-4 exhibit swaps, but some of those are traveling exhibits, smallish
art galleries, etc.

I think that the majority of our visitors would not notice a slowdown in
the exhibit turnover schedule (just 2 full-scale exhibits per year?) nor
would they have a particularly negative reaction.  But the staff,
budget, educational programs, sponsorship, and press coverage would see
real improvement.  So, does anybody have experience slowing their
exhibit schedule, any data to support that kind of move, or suggestions
for how I can evaluate the impact our temporary exhibits have on
visitors beyond asking how often they visit and if they remember the
last "feature exhibition" they saw when they came?

Many thanks!

Clayton Drescher

Education Manager

Petersen Automotive Museum