The Burlington County Historical Society in Burlington, NJ is deaccessioning
significant objects in their collection via an upcoming auction at Freeman's
in Philadelphia. Here is a link to the auction:

http://issuu.com/freemansauction/docs/1387

Please go to page 57 in the catalog.  Take special note of the text about
the reasoning behind the deaccession.

Furthermore, in an odd turn of events, apparently a sampler they are
apparently retaining (though I am unsure of that) recently disappeared from
a room being used as a photography studio, and after a search of the
building, the sampler could not be located.  At this writing I do not
believe it has been recovered; apparently it disappeared on or around
October 22.  It is my understanding a police report has not been filed.  The
sampler, as I understand it, is the Bowker sampler, and it is illustrated in
Betty Ring's "Girlhood Embroidery."  It is acknowledged by experts to be the
finest sampler the Society owns, and is one of a group of similar samplers
that are extremely valuable from a monetary standpoint.

I am only the messenger here - I have no affiliation with the Society at
all.  I think it is very important that other museum professionals are aware
of what is going on, and am posting on behalf other concerned persons not in
the field.

Candace Perry

Curator

Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center