I am trying to learn about any institution that may have had selling exhibitions.  What I mean by this is an exhibition held in the museum that would show both museum pieces and commissioned pieces.  The commissioned pieces would be available for private sale either at an event promoting the exhibition or by other means which have not been outlined yet.  As we are a later 18th early 19th century site, and the commissioned pieces would all be 21st century pieces, there would be no conflict of interest which relates to the collection or our collecting mission.

I know the MFA Boston had contemporary cabinetmakers re-interpret some pieces in their collection back in the 80s.  Some of the pieces made it into their collection and other pieces made it out onto the open market, but I do not know how this was handled.  Any advise, recommendations, or directions to look for more information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

S. Scott Scholz
Museum Curator