Ms Kidd,
As the curator I assume that you are aware that either coal form, lignite or bituminous would be historically accurate for Texas in general with bituminous most likely to have been burned in Plano. Anthracite might be preferred because of its density but it would be more common in the northeast.

As a interpretive designer, this strikes me as a potential teaching opportunity. Create a reproduction coal for the fireplaces and buckets; and be able to talk about coal use at the time, and why this coal isn't real (protection of the collection). Acquire real samples of both coals and keep them in closed containers, large glass jars would work, and then open them briefly so that you visitor can smell them. Few contemporary people experience coal and a strong component of is the odor (and the different kinds of coal can be very different in their odors). At this point you can talk about what it might have been like to cook and heat with coal... and I'll bet at least some of your visitors will reminisce about their experience.

With this approach you eliminate the fire risk (no oxygen-no fire), there is no real risk to the collections, and your visitor engages with the real thing.

My thoughts, Paul Stromdahl