Hello All,

I work at an 1891 historic house farmstead with original coal burning fireplaces and stove. However, we are not a living history museum and do not use the fireplaces or stove for demonstrations. Some staff members want to have bituminous charcoal samples in the fireplaces and coal buckets to show children what would have been appropriate. I am hesitant to have actual coal in the historic house instead of reproduction for fear of combustion, off-gassing, and dust particles harming the collection. I have found that lignite is extremely volatile, but have not found the likelihood of combustion on bituminous. I would like to have some facts or statics to show our director on why we should not, or if it is okay, should use actual coal. Any thoughts or comments from those who have dealt with a similar situation would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Hillary Kidd

Curator of Collections

Heritage Farmstead Museum