Anne,

I couldn't agree more, and would add that such a fundamental change in focus can have a powerful, liberating effect on how all of us approach our work. For me, "impact" puts the horse (what we're trying to accomplish) back in front of the cart (how we get the work done). It also reveals how little most of us know about our audience and community.

In my planning work, I use a quotation from Peter Block's "Fearless Negotiations" as my mantra: "Change your thinking first, your actions second." I talk to clients about the pitfalls of impatiently identifying solutions to problems that aren't fully understood. And, I warn them about creating self-fulfilling vision statements that simply project current activities into the future. I take the Hildy Gottlieb approach because it very clearly, and simply, shifts the discussion outward, away from institutional activities themselves, toward audience and community needs. Framing the discussion in terms of impact is another way of posing the “So What?” question, isn’t it?.

Ultimately, the most successful organizations in our field, as my Qm2 colleagues always say, are those that are valued and even beloved by the people they serve. You get there by acknowledging, understanding and acting on audience needs; understanding and communicating the deeper purpose your organization fills (beyond your mission); by acting consistently on a set of core values; by building on your strengths and doing what you're good at, dropping what you're not; and, by inspiring confidence in others that you will deliver on your promises.

Impact Statement: the ultimate reality sandwich.  I love it. Thanks for your words of advice.

Regards,

Dean

Dean Krimmel, Creative Museum Services/Qm2

Helping Museums and Cultural Nonprofits

423 Range Road  Baltimore, MD 21204

[log in to unmask]; 410-746-8350

http://www.qm2.org; http://www.linkedin.com/in/deankrimmel

How does your organization describe itself? Here's one of my favorites:

WTMD is listener-supported radio from the campus of Towson University.

We believe that music can change the world.