Dear Robert, Jay, et al.,

The AAMG (Association of Academic Museums and Galleries) has worked with AAM's MAP Program to include accreditation criteria appropriate for academic museums. So we have made improvements in the institutional peer review process.

We have not addressed the kind of individual peer review you describe. If your institution will accept candidate-specified peer review procedures then you are way ahead of most of us. ...and please let us know how you managed that!

In the sciences it is most common for the editor of a scientific journal to pick the 'experts' who will review a manuscript. If you can establish criteria for picking 'expert' peer reviewers who do not have conflict of interest and if you can get your University to accept these criteria then please let us all know how you did it.

A specific list of peer reviewers would need 'experts' in each topical area and might be very difficult to build and maintain. I am forwarding this discussion to the 2,668 member AAMG-L listserv for additional discussion.

Best Wishes!

Stefan

Dr. Stefan Sommer
Director, Colorado Plateau Biodiversity Center<http://www.mpcer.nau.edu/cpbc>
Executive Producer, A River Reborn<http://www.mpcer.nau.edu/riverreborn>
Faculty Advisor, Grand Canyon SEEDS Chapter<http://www.mpcer.nau.edu/seeds>
Board of Directors, Assoc. of Academic Museums & Galleries<http://www.aamg-us.org/>
Faculty, Department of Biological Sciences
Northern Arizona University
Campus Box 5640
Flagstaff, AZ  86011

O: (928) 523-4463