We used a resin cast made from bituminous coal in a railroad museum in NC. I
used the MSDS for coal to make my case:
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA
SHEET<http://health.state.tn.us/Downloads/TVA_MSDS-sefa-coalash.pdf>
<http://health.state.tn.us/Downloads/TVA_MSDS-sefa-coalash.pdf>It's not
super dangerous but I think it can flake off easily and can be an irritant.
Cheers,
Shana

--
Shana West