From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barbara Hass
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Charcoal types for historic house museums

how about lava rocks?
these are sold in bags for gas grills and they look like chunk coal
Pictured on this web site
http://www.gasproductscompany.com/gas-products/lava-rock-20-lb.html

found by diligent searching using the terms
fake charcoal gas grills

Barbara Hass, retired librarian

In a message dated 10/13/2010 5:37:54 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Hello All,

I work at an 1891 historic house farmstead with original coal burning fireplaces and stove. However, we are not a living history museum and do not use the fireplaces or stove for demonstrations. Some staff members want to have bituminous charcoal samples in the fireplaces and coal buckets to show children what would have been appropriate. I am hesitant to have actual coal in the historic house instead of reproduction for fear of combustion, off-gassing, and dust particles harming the collection. I have found that lignite is extremely volatile, but have not found the likelihood of combustion on bituminous. I would like to have some facts or statics to show our director on why we should not, or if it is okay, should use actual coal. Any thoughts or comments from those who have dealt with a similar situation would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Hillary Kidd
Curator of Collections
Heritage Farmstead Museum
Plano, Texas
972-422-6481 fax
www.heritagefarmstead.org<http://www.heritagefarmstead.org/>

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).