try these folks?
American Association of Museum Volunteers
_http://www.aamv.org/_ (http://www.aamv.org/)

Barbara Hass, retired librarian

In a message dated 9/16/2010 10:02:04 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I work  for a museum that has a large collection of agricultural equipment,
especially  tractors.  Many of these tractors come in unrestored and we
have a group  of retired guys who volunteer their time to restore these
tractors.   Unfortunately, their idea of restoration and my idea of restoration are
not  the same thing.

The tractor they are currently working on is a  Holt 75 that Museum staff
would like to have running for demonstrations.   I have been told by other
museum staff that a few of the restoration  volunteers have referred to the
artifacts as "junk," luckily these staff  members have informed the volunteers
otherwise.  Even though I have been  working with a "friend of the museum"
in acquiring accurate replications of  parts for the Holt 75, I am finding
that my restoration volunteers are using  scrap pieces of materials to make
parts for the tractor which are  inaccurate.  I have provided them with parts
lists/pictures and the care  and operations manual for this tractor.  The
"friend of the museum" is  also serving as a consultant for this project, but
cannot be out at the museum  to assist in the actual restoration.

Unfortunately, this is only one  example of the many poorly restored
projects they have done over the  years.  One of the last tractors that was
restored had a cap from the  fly-wheel chiseled off instead of just unscrewing the
cover to remove this  cap.  This was a problem that the previous
Collections Manager faced for  MANY years and I would really like to break  the cycle.
 How to you  get through to these guys that our artifacts are not "junk"?
I am in the  process of writing a restoration policy for the museum, but
just because I  write one doesn't mean that they are going to follow it.  Since
this  project began, I have had to be in the restoration shop supervising
their work  (a total of 6 hours/week) instead of being able to do other
necessary job  duties.  I would like to be able to trust them enough where I can
go out  to the shop for about a few hours, take photos, get updates and make
decisions  and answer questions they have.  I do have a few volunteers who
understand and love being able to accurately restore the equipment and I
don't  have to worry about them, but they aren't rubbing off on the  others.

Since these are all volunteers, how do you handle this  situation diplom
atically?  I would really like to get rid of the bad  apples, but know that may
not be possible.  We have a guy who is kind of  their leader, but he isn't
doing the best of job in directing the  volunteers... he is older and has
health issues, so I am also playing a  waiting game on that too... hoping it
will improve once he isn't involved  anymore.  What is the nicest, but
firmest way to let them know that they  need to change their thinking and  do
things correctly?  Any  suggestions you provide would be very helpful, as it
would really help my  stress level.  Also if you have a restoration policy you
would like to  share, I would appreciate that  too!

Thanks,
Julie

Important  Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed  information about the listserv commands by
sending a one line e-mail message  to [log in to unmask] . The body
of the message should read "help"  (without the quotes).

If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a  one line e-mail message to
[log in to unmask] . The body of the  message should read "Signoff
Museum-L" (without the  quotes).