From: Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, Aug 31, 2010 9:43 am
Subject: Re: Confidentiality of Accession and Loan Files

I am not sure how a donor’s 8283 becoming public record will make a non-profit more transparent and increase government oversight since the IRS already has access to this information.  These are individual tax records that have nothing to do with governance or operation of the non-profit museum who received the donation.  Those tax forms are the responsibility of the donor. They must be filled out by the donor including setting the value of the item and acquiring an appraiser if needed.  The only action a museum has in regard to the form is to agree that they received the donation for a related or unrelated purpose to the museum’s mission.  They do not agree to the value or the deduction and may not even see the amount when they sign the form since that is not required.

Museums are not supposed to be setting the value of an object or acting as the appraiser according to both Ethical standards and IRS guidelines because of the conflict of interest.  Over the years, I have rarely known if a donor even takes the allowable tax deduction unless our signature is required on the form and would have no way to know if they have inflated the value to just below our signature levels or if the appraisal they received was false.

I think most museum’s would protest revealing the value of objects within their collection for several reasons; the largest being security issues.  Additionally, I am not sure how revealing the value of the object will make an organization more transparent.   I could see perhaps revealing whom you acquired objects from due to issues about provenance and illegal importation, etc. but how did the value of the item help with that?

The article you mentioned about the Koch brothers specifically deals with non-profits that have a political agenda or 501(c)4 organizations. (Smithsonian Exhibit issue aside)  Museums are 501(c)3, which are not allowed to campaign and are highly limited in regards to lobbying. The article was very interesting reading about what is happening in the 501(c)4 world, but I am not sure how that applies to the donation of tangible objects.

Monetary gifts are perhaps a different story, the real issue with the Koch brothers is not that their donations are illegal but rather that their control and manipulation of these non-profits are highly unethical and perhaps fraudulent.  .

Mismanagement issues and oversight of governance of non-profits may need addressing, but I am not sure how revealing donor information as you suggest will have any impact on these problems.

Tracie Evans
Curator of Collections
Sauder Village
22611 St. Rt. 2
Archbold OH 43502
Phone: 419/446-2541
FAX: 419/445-5251

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged, confidential, or proprietary information which may be protected from disclosure under law, and is intended solely for the use of the individual, group, or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipients, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete this message immediately from your computer. Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your assistance.